I thought it might be helpful for people following my guide for installing macOS Mojave on Proxmox if I described my setup and how I’m using macOS.
Proxmox hardware specs
- Motherboard: Asrock EP2C602
- RAM: 64GB
- CPU: 2 x Intel E5-2670 for a total of 16 cores / 32 threads
- Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD for macOS
- 30TB of spinning disks in various ZFS configurations
- 1TB SATA SSD for Proxmox’s root device
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
- AMD Radeon R9 280X (HD 7970 / Tahiti XTL)
- 2x onboard Intel C600 USB 2 controllers
- Inateck USB 3 PCIe card (Fresco Logic FL1100 chipset)
- 2x onboard Intel 82574L gigabit network ports
- Lian Li PC-X2000F full tower (sadly, long discontinued!)
- Lian Li EX-H35 HDD Hot Swap Module (to add 3 x 3.5″ drive bays into 3 of the 4 x 5.25″ drive mounts), with Lian Li BZ-503B filter door, and Lian Li BP3SATA hot swap backplane. Note that because of the sideways-mounted 5.25″ design on this case, the door will fit flush with the left side of the case, while the unfiltered exhaust fan sits some 5-10mm proud of the right side of the case.
- CPU cooler
- 2 x Noctua NH-U14S coolers
- EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W
My Proxmox machine is my desktop computer, so I pass most of this hardware straight through to the macOS Mojave VM that I use as my daily-driver machine. I pass through both USB 2 controllers, the USB 3 controller, the NVMe SSD, and one of the gigabit network ports, plus the R9 280X graphics card.